Sunday, November 8, 2009

Taming the White Nile

Well I had an exciting weekend of white water rafting on the White Nile as they call it. They say it is probably the best rafting in the world and in a couple of years will probably be extinct due to Uganda building another dam on the river to generate power. So I was enthralled to be able to go before I could not.

Rafting included going through 12 major rapids with names like Rib Cage, Bujugali Falls, 50/50, Silverback, Chop Suey, and The Bad Place just to name a few. Our raft went through five class 5 rapids which was pretty intense and the only raft out of 8 that went through Chop Suey. Needless to say our guide challenged us and we flipped out quite a bit. I flipped out on two rapids both class 5. The first was due to one of my fellow interns who body checked me out on Bujugali Falls and the other time when the entire raft got flipped going through Chop Suey. It was a blast and was completely worn out from the 30 km trip.


Banged up knuckles from a day of rafting on the Nile.

Bujugali Falls which is a class 5 rapid. I got body-checked out of the raft by Peter.

We stayed at a camp site that was really close to Bujugali Falls and so we got to walk down to it the next day and see it from outside the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment