Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Nashville

This past weekend I was in Nashville, TN, and I had a really good time there.

My sister was moving to Nashville to take a nursing job with Vanderbilt Hospital, and I went up to help her. So it was good to see my parents and my sister. She has a nice apartment south east of Nashville.

Sunday we went to church at Bethel World Outreach Center in Brentwood. It was really neat to go there, because Bethel is big in to missions and starting churches all over the world. It was a great encouragement not only hearing about the work they do but also the sermon was good too. The pastor taught on the covenant that we have with God and Christ through our faith. It is amazing to me to see how God works in my life even through going to a random church in Nashville

Monday, I took my sister over to African Leadership's Refugee Ministry in West Nashville. I lead a 20s and 30s mission group from Pinelake to AL's Refugee Ministry in the spring. We had a lot of fun playing with the Refugee kids and painting apartments. If you don't know about AL and their Refugee ministry, you should check them out at http://www.africanleadership.org/missionnews/refugee/Refugee_Ministry.htm



Anyway William Mwizerwa is the director of it and he helps refugees from places like Rwanda, Burundi, the Sudan, etc. who have been placed in Nashville by the State Department. The refugees come knowing nothing about our culture and have to not only learn our language but how to do simple things for us like how to grocery shop or turn on the lights. William came in 1998 to the U.S. from Rwanda and saw the need for helping others like himself to try and get assimilated here. It was a great experience spending time with the refugees and I would encourage anybody to go and work with them.

So my sister got to meet William's daughter, Aimee, who is a big part of the ministry. William wasn't there because he got his U.S. citizenship on Friday and wanted to go and apply for a social security number. So congratulations, William, on becoming a U.S. citizen!


No comments:

Post a Comment